This playground is the Town’s Largest and houses playground equipment for children of all ages, an adult fitness zone, tennis court, basketball court, shuffleboard court, softball field, bathroom, water fountain, and lots of shade!
The newly renovated playground reopened in February 2018! The playground was then rededicated in 2008 to honor James P. Ernst, who served Kenneth City as Police Chief. Chief Ernst earned the respect of all he came in contact with and will be always be remembered as a valued member of our community.
Improvements to the Park include:
- New playground equipment with rubberized surface (playground base) and covered pavilion.
- Small splash pad (spray ground) and covered pavilion.
- Curve-a-linear sidewalk, complete with area landscaping, low-voltage knee lighting, and additional target landscaping (goal is to beautify the area, but make it low maintenance based on limited staffing).
- Multiple covered pavilions interspersed throughout the park, most placed in close proximity to activity centers. One will include a high-tech charging station for portable electronics. It will include a locking hood that will limit use to daylight hours only.
- Shuffleboard area with pavilion.
- Corn Hole/Lawn Bowling area with pavilion. Corn Hole units will be permanently mounted to the ground (aluminum construction).
- Permanent, all-weather aluminum table tennis table.
- Resurfaced tennis court with new playback wall and wind screens.
- Full, regulation length basketball court.
- Concrete pad for portable stage or inflatable movie screen (can be loaned from Pinellas Park or Police Athletic League), and circular sidewalk around perimeter of park field (interior will be left open for Town functions, touch-a-truck, festivals, or open play of Frisbee, wiffle ball, etc.
- Daylight use, climate-controlled, ADA compliant restroom.
View a Photo Slideshow of the James P. Ernst Park.
Pavilions at the park are available to rent as well as equipment to use in the park! Read more here.